Sunday, October 26, 2008

Last Long run before IMAZ

I took a mental health holiday from work on Friday - as in, if I didn't take off, my mental health might take a holiday.  I decided to take the opportunity to get in one of my weekend workouts on Friday so that I could have some actual weekend time off.  Upon waking Friday, I decided that I really wanted to get the 2.5 mile swim over with.  Packed my bags and decided to check the weather...Saturday's forecast was for constant rain with scattered thunderstorms and a 15-20 mph wind.  Hmmmm.  I immediately ate a bit more for breakfast, changed clothes, grabbed my ipod, packed some Gu (otherwise known as rocketfuel) and Propel in my camelback & started on my way.  

I planned to run from my house, across the Lee Bridge to Franklin St to the Downtown Y, then west on Franklin to Maramarc on Fitzhugh/Staples Mill, back to the Y, back to Maramarc and then home any way I saw fit.  

At the Eastern shore 100 mile ride, I counted presidential election signs (Obama won about 20 to 13).  I did the same thing on my 22 mile run (of course not double-counting when I backtracked on my course - that would be too much like Ohio in '04 or Florida in '00).  Obama won 104 to 26 to 1 (Ron Paul).  At one point the score was 7 to 0 to 1!  Yes, I ran through VCU, but most of the signs I saw were on Monument Avenue.  I expected to see a lot of McCain signs there, but didn't.  Let me be partisan for just a moment:  WOO HOO!  Score one for equality, intelligence, knowledge, the good guys and PEACE.  I'm not saying McCain isn't a good guy.  He is.  I just think he lost his way on the road to the election (by way of Wasilla and wanting to win too badly).

So perhaps the overwhelming victory in signage spurred me on to a great run where I felt good the entire time (pain yes, but not the "Hi Sweetheart, can you come get me" kind of pain I have often felt on long runs).

Perhaps it was running into indoor cycling & Ironman Carlton Hines in VCU land.  We both took a timeout from our day to catch up.  I had followed Carton's race at Ironman Louisville back in August, but hadn't seen him since.  It was great to get the details in person.  And it was really great to get his best wishes on my upcoming Ironman Arizona (IMAZ).  Carlton even dropped me an email later in the day to wish me luck.  I'm happy to say I beat the email home (though he may have had a long day of classes)!

Shit!  I just went back & checked when the email was received and I didn't really beat it home. To quote Anneurysm:  Fuckmuffins.

Perhaps I had such a good run because on my 2nd stop at the YMCA, a guy I had seen out running stopped me to tell me he thought I was fast.  I'm not fast.  Especially not on a long run day.  I don't run.  I don't jog.  I slog.  But I pretty constantly move forward and I'm happy with that.  He introduced himself (Richard) and asked if I was training for the marathon.  No, I don't think he was hitting on me - just stay with me, OK?  How cool is it that I got to say, "no, Ironman Arizona".  This gorgeous, muscle-man was blown away by little ol' me.  That was fun.

Perhaps it was then running into a good friend and former boss, Leslie.  She's just become a grandmother and I got to catch up a bit with her too, which I had really wanted to do.

All in all, a great run!  Probably because I had some breaks.  Probably because the breaks were unexpected bonus breaks and each then gave me something to think about as I continued on my way.  Perhaps it was knowing there was leftover steak in the fridge calling my name.  Perhaps it was because Anita was out of town 1/2 the day & couldn't come get my sorry ass.

Whatever the reason, I want to take every Friday off to do my long weekend workout!  But, I only have ONE LEFT!!!!  Holy Taper, Batman!

1 comment:

Kate said...

Well you know you are an Ironman... but damn those 14 minutes.

Enjoyed training with you this year CJ. I hope you reconsider and join me in 2010 for one more IM.