Tuesday, November 25, 2008

IMAZ 08


So much to write, it's difficult to think where to begin.  Guess I'll begin at the end, jump to the start and end in the middle.  Yeah, that's it.

Players in the story:
  • Anita - IronSpouse/Sherpa Extraordinaire
  • David & Karen - Brother & sister-in-law and single day IronFan ticketholders currently living in Los Angeles
  • Mom - IronShy - wants her daughter to have no part of this sport, especially this distance. Was offered single day, complementary IronFan ticket and declined wholeheartedly. Very supportive, but phrase most often uttered in last 12 months is:  "this is your last one, right?"  Stayed on Ironmanlive.com for record 17:14:19 and could be heard from thousands of miles away when the live video feed cut off at midnight mountain time.
  • Heidi - Ironman & Trigirl - extra special supporter & Rockstar
  • Tammy & Brad - Ironmen & Trigirl/boy  (man this gender thing is confusing in Ironman)

  • Som - 60 year old, 6-time Ironman in 2008 alone.  I didn't even have the energy to ENTER that many races.
  • Sean - friend, bike mechanic & fiance to...
  • Melissa - multiple Ironman & new friend
  • Jody - newly crowned IronSherpa to Heidi (and all TriGirls at IMAZ 2008).  I hear she's available for rent at future Mdot races.  Please forward all payments in advance to Heidi.
  • Online Contingent following by internet & cell - Holy Crap, there are a lot of you.  Thank goodness.  Debbie, Ronda, Linda, Geoffrey, Joy, Patty and all the supportive Trigirls - I love you all, thought of you often and it helped keep me going (and going, etc.)

On the record, there were 7 cutoffs during the day. I only missed one (insert sad, wistful smile here).  The clock said 17:14 as I crossed the line. Now I know how Maxwell Smart felt: "Missed it by that much".  Don't get me wrong - I'm still proud and feel I accomplished a great deal. Hell, I took 1 hour, 24 minutes off my only other Iron Distance Race.  How many people do you know can say that?  And do you want to know what I spent 14 minutes doing?  Probably not, but you'll have to read on to find out (but, you've been warned).

The water was cold and crowded for the first 1/4.  I was amazed at the draft I got - I was practically doggy paddling (no Coach Annie, I did not bark), but the pack was pulling me forward.  I was paddling & not swimming because I was getting a little beat up and trying to save myself some hassle.  Not the way I planned it, but the "back" of the pre-race swim pack would have caused me to swim a couple of extra hundred yards.  After Brazil, I was having none of extra swim yards....and besides, I'd estimated where the back of the pack would end and tried to park there, but people kept stopping behind me.  I kept looking back to see more & more people line up - only good news was that Brad & Tammy were two of them, so we got to chat a moment before the gun.  (Told you I was going to tell this tale from the inside out).  Anyway, as I was doggy paddling and still getting beat on, I tried to keep Ironman Shawnie in my thoughts as she pushed people off her during IMFL.  It helped a bit, but I did not laught to myself as she did!  As a super-slow swimmer, I had some elbow room after the first 1/4, so there's the consolation prize - 30 minutes in I had some space.

Fun swim moments for me:  
  • race volunteer standing on a surfboard with a paddle - I told him I'd tell everyone back home that the swim was so bad, I thought I saw someone walking on water.  I almost started hollering, "I'm coming, Elizabeth" and grabbing my chest, but you'll only get that reference if you're as old as me.
  • taking a minute (while still swimming) to talk with my family.  They looked refreshed after their 3/4 to 1 mile hike to find me.  Aren't they lucky I'm slow so they didn't have to run to keep up?
  • Using my standard line on my own personal kayaker who was with me most of the way - "have you seen my car?"  This guy was great.  Hollered support, stayed far enough away not to be a nuisance.  I remember one thing he said was "let me know if you get too cold."  I probably stopped swimming at that.  I looked at him and asked "so, what can you do if I get too cold?"  He gestured to the back of his kayak.  "Thanks, but I ain't that cold."  Near the last turn for home at about 200 yards, I asked if he'd be joining me for the bike & run.  Unfortunately, he'd only brought his kayak.

I finally found a groove at the turnaround and swam back much faster than going out (in my mind anyway).  It was cold.  I mean colder than a mother-in-law's heart (any mother-in-law, no one I know specifically, it's a damn simile or a metaphor or an analogy or something.  Whatever, just get over it).  I got cramps in both calves, but was able to just calm down and work them out while continuing my progress.  

After the last turn toward the stairs, there were kayakers, surfers and swimmers everywhere.  It was weird.  I was wondering if I'd wandered into a water parade, but knew from the temperature that I wasn't in Miami.  Everyone was yelling at us to push it.  Yelling. At. Us.  Didn't care for the yelling.  Much prefer the supportive scream.  Last thing I heard before I was flung up onto dry land by two buff volunteers was my kayaker telling me I wasn't last.  Ok, cool, but I want to stay "not last", so I have to bolt.

I did not realize how long the run from the swim end to the changing tent was.  I mean, it was right there.  Like 15 feet away.  But no.  We had to run what felt like 1/2 mile carrying wetsuit, swim cap, goggles, earplugs, dropping stuff along the way and not caring.  Seeing Anita & David & Karen.  I've seen some video and I know they were cheering loudly, but I didn't hear or see them until I was right in front of them.  


 Then a great volunteer hands me my swim to bike bag to add to my load.  At this point, I'm wondering if this race may be more than 140.6 - perhaps they've trimmed some off the run to make up for it (no, they did not).  Perhaps this run is to allow you to feel your feet and hands again (no, I did not).  Perhaps Ironman is just cruel (yes, indeed).  After another 100 yards of parcel carrying, another volunteer takes all my stuff and I can really start running for the changing tent - she schleps all my stuff.  That'll make you feel like a rockstar, let me tell ya.  

One pretty daggone quick change & I run for the bike - only a couple of hundred yards to the timing mat, but then another 100 yards to the mount line - I ask you - DOES THIS COUNT ANYWHERE IN MY 140.6???  I want a recount.  Seriously.  Please?

OK, sorry, I have to stop here, I'm beat.  I have so much more to tell and thanks to my sherpa, lots of great pics & even a little video to share.

2 comments:

TriGirlDebbieJo said...

I want you to know I totally got your "I'm coming Elizabeth" reference! I'm proud of your perseverence. You know I have a "swim bond" with you!

Much Love...and waiting to read more!!

Kate said...

Posted my comment in the wrong post, oops! See post before this one CJ.