Tuesday, March 17, 2009

The Proposal

One of the blogs I read regularly recently told the incredibly super-romantic story of how she was proposed to:

http://joneslovesnewbones.blogspot.com/

Allow me to (who's gonna stop me, you?) recreate for you the truly romantic proposal I received from my lovely bride.

The year, 1990. The time, Christmas Eve. The place, Asheville, NC. OK, this sort of sounds like "Rent". We were in Asheville to visit our parents. Both sets of parents lived in Asheville at the time - Asheville is Anita's hometown and my folks had moved down from NY just after I graduated college. Anita & I met in Richmond, but my Dad worked less than a mile from where Anita's Mom lived. We truly were destined to be together.

So, Christmas Eve in Asheville. We were hungry. Not a lot of places open for a late lunch. Pizza Hut was pretty much our only choice. So, after ordering a romantic pepperoni & mushroom pie, we start chatting. Talking about how we were always destined to be together. Anita says "hey, want to get hitched?".

No ring. No candlelight. No bended knee. Just a "you've got tomato sauce on your chin" kind of statement.

Naturally, I was swept off my feet and immediately said a teary yes.

What I didn't mention to her then is that I would make fun of this proposal for the rest of our lives. She's been a really good sport. So far.

Love you Sweetheart.


5 comments:

Sarah said...

Awww, that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy :-)

(strangely enough, the word verification on this is "weddo")

Fave said...

aw shucks - you two are adorable!
you may be "making fun" of anita for it - but it sure is a special memory that you will always remember!

mommy to 2, feels like 4. said...

That is true love!
I love it!

TriGirl 40 said...

And they live happily ever after!

Thank you for sharing such a special moment.

Hugs!

margo said...

ok... i DID NOT KNOW that you had a blog!!! and as a result - i did not know that you had linked to my proposal!!! awww thanks! your proposal is so wonderful!