Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Last Loooonnnngggg Run

Ok, technically, I have 2 long runs left, but once you've done 22, 13 doesn't seem like much.  And that other run is not a training run, so that doesn't count in my countdown either.

Ironman Texas.  25 days away.  Including today, because today isn't over yet, so of course it should still be included.  Race numbers will probably be issued within the next week & a half.  That always induces a nice measure of freakout.  I believe I'm experiencing some palpitations even now.  It is totally human of me to know that the rookies on our training team will be experiencing a much higher freakout factor any time now, right?  Right?  It's not mean, right?  Right?

So, I have temporarily given up alcohol and very bad "food" with exceptions.  I've been "off" alcohol over a week now (OK, I had some of Anita's coppertini Saturday night, but how can that count, it was 1/4 fruit juice).  And off junk food for 5 days.  Do I feel better?  NO, of course not.  Maybe later.

I started an iron supplement.  Perhaps this is TMI, but since I'm practically alone here, I may as well mention why.  My "monthly" "cycle" (quotes because at my advanced age, there's nothing monthly about what is barely even cyclical anymore) may coincide precisely with the race.  That would be pretty bad news for me.  One day to need to feel my best I may feel my worst.  Advil is very bad to take during intense physical activity and that is the only thing I've found to ge me through that once really bad cycle day.  So, I may very well be in extra pain and feel extra weak on IM day.  We won't even go into how no one wants to go swimming on the first day.  Anyway, I think the iron may be working because I don't think this time was so bad.  But I was playing golf, not self-propelling 140.6 miles, so I don't really know. 

Yesterday, Anita & I played in our first one day Virginia State Golf Association tournament.  Anita played the first 7 holes in 1 over par!  That's not only REALLY good for anyone I golf with, it's amazing for someone with a 28 handicap and at a course we don't know that is very difficult.  Unfortunately, one other woman in our group, someone we don't know, started calling her a "sandbagger" and talking about how great she was doing, blah, blah.   Just like the announcers at a baseball game jinxing a no-hitter or a perfect game.  She was a turd and constantly doing things to mess with our heads.  Very annoying.  But Anita persevered and finished in 4th place (net).  She was only 3 shots from placing 1st net.  That was awesome.

I guess that's all I've got to share right now.

No comments: