Friday, April 1, 2011

"Mobbed"

Crazy new semi-reality show based on the flashmobs that have started to become ubiquitous.  Howie Mandel finding someone with a secret and turning the reveal of the secret into a flashmob.  Could be good. We love a good dance routine.

So the first episode was last night and the guy with the "secret" wanted to propose to his girlfriend.  They made a huge, and I mean huge, production out of the proposal and it was a lot of fun and really very sweet.  I was sniffling and crying a bit at just how sweet it was.

And then Howie came up with the brilliant plan to stage the wedding right after the proposal, knowing she might not say yes to the proposal and might not say yes to getting married right then & there.

The whole thing was awesome and I was really getting misty-eyed, right up until the actual wedding.  Then I started sobbing, but not from the joy of how sweet it was.  I sobbed because in 45 of these United States, I cannot marry the woman I've loved for 21 years.  Not in my home state, not in Anita's home state, not in the state we currently live in, not in any state we currently have relatives living in.

And why not?  To preserve the sanctity of marriage.  Huh?  Gay marriage is the biggest threat to heterosexual marriage?  How?  How is it any threat at all?  How does your marriage effect mine and how would mine effect yours?  Wouldn't divorce be a bigger threat?  Latest I've heard is that marriage is for procreation.  Huh?  So my brother shouldn't have been allowed to marry?  If that's the case, why are people so uptight about folks getting knocked up first and then getting married - maybe they were just making sure the sanctity of procreative marriage was maintained?

Anyway, a fucking reality show about production dance numbers hurt my feelings tonight.  Happy f'ing Thursday.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I was trying to write a witty comment to make you feel better.....but I have none. I'm sorry, it does suck and there really is no reason, than political "usefulness".