Friday, April 15, 2011

Timecheck for Ironman Texas

So, it's Friday.  Fabulous.  And another long workout this weekend.  It was supposed to be a 90 mile bike ride, but thanks to me, it's 100 for the whole team.  Yes, voluntarily.  A few months ago, I saw that there was a century ride planned for this weekend.  Support & a map for $35!  Plus a pancake breakfast.  What could be better.  I mentioned it to our coaches and they agreed it wasn't a bad idea.

Well, it's a few months later and the ride is Sunday.  That's nice - it means I have a kind of lazy day tomorrow if I'd like, though I need to do the 2.4 mile timed swim I skipped earlier in the week.  But still, not a huge time commitment to working out on Saturday.

I'm not sure why I'm not looking forward to the ride.  I'm in good shape.  It'll be nice not to have 2 loops of a long course, so no danger of bagging the ride in the middle, which is always a danger if I see my car during a workout.  Perhaps it's the weather forecast for Saturday - complete rainout with bad storms on the way, so no golf.  With the after-bike run, I won't be leaving Powhatan until about 4 or a bit later on Sunday, so doesn't look good to get any golf in then.  So no golf this weekend.  Bummer.

But then, this post wasn't really supposed to be about the bike ride.  In the last 2 weeks, the entire IMTXTG team has found calendars.  As in Holy Crap, we have to race next month.  Or what do you mean we leave for Texas in 32 days?

I don't think I'm nervous.  Really.  I'm excited that we only have 4 long workouts left before the big day.  I'm excited about all the progress I've made through hard work, great coaching and buying better equipment (have I mentioned lately how much I love my bike?).  I'm really very excited that I suddenly enjoy running.  Let me type that again.  I enjoy running.  Last week, I enjoyed a bike ride.  Flat out enjoyed.  On the same day, I had a great swim.  Saturday I ran 20 miles and never needed a walk break (yes, I stopped for water 5.5 times).  The .5 was because there was no water where it was expected to be.  Took .5 to truly establish that it was missing.  And then Anita happened to pass us on her way to the golf course - way across town.  She was nice enough to stop and provide us with water and juice, which she just happened to have in the car, like any good sherpathlete would.  But I digress.  I don't think I'm nervous.  Excited?  Maybe.

So, all systems go.  All IM dreams have been positive.  Positive!?  Like finishing in 14 hours positive (not realistic without a 45 mph tailwind the entire bike ride so I don't have to pedal).  Like running with other teammates who are still on the course after my finish (instead of calling them in their hotel rooms and waking their asses up, which I have been known to do in prior years).  Like saying "hi Mom" to the live video feed as I cross the finish line (because, of course, if you finish in under 17 hours, there is a video feed to say "hi" to).

But still, today marks 36 days to race day.  That's not a lot.  I think I need some chocolate to wash that down with.

No comments: